Mollie Hartford – Crafted Birth
“[Mollie] had the best advice for ME and my situation and actually listened to what my concerns for birth are for baby 3. … She actually listens and gives feedback on the person and not what SHE would necessarily do.”
~ Courtney P., Holden, MA
While Mollie prepares for the birth of her OWN baby (!!!), she will be taking a break from teaching classes. She will be offering private sessions through the end of January, and then again beginning fall of 2016. Send her happy baby thoughts!
Not every birth plan is right for every mother, but EVERY mother has the right to know her options and to plan for and strive for the birth she wants. At Crafted Birth, we believe the first step to achieving your desired birth is to know your options — if you do not know what is available to you, how can you make an informed choice? We can help you craft your own philosophy and wishes for your birth, guide you through the process of planning for your care, and with caring, skill, and a little ingenuity, prepare you for the arrival of your baby!
We offer comprehensive childbirth classes covering all aspects of pregnancy, labor and delivery, and postpartum care, including medicated and non-medicated pain management. Breastfeeding and Infant Care classes are also available. Unlike Bradley or Lamaze methods, we tailor our classes to help each individual couple determine what kind of birth they want and what they can do to achieve it. Whether mom wishes for an epidural or a non-medicated birth, to breastfeed or feed with formula, is planning a vaginal birth or scheduled Cesarean birth, we help her plan for her care and build the skills necessary to have the birth she wants.
2016 Class Schedule
2016 classes are TBD until further notice while Mollie waits for the arrival of baby #2! Please check back late summer of 2016.
Classes and Topics:
Childbirth Education Classes
– Six 2-hour classes, $100 per couple
– Next series start date: TBD, Fall 2016
2-Day Condensed Series
– Two 3-hour classes, $80 per couple
– Next series start date: TBD, fall 2016
– One 2-hour class $35.00 per couple ($30 if signed up for 6-week series)
– Next class date: TBD, Fall 2016Breastfeeding is one of the most amazing gifts a mother can give to her baby. However, many mothers are not prepared for the challenges that can occur when she AND the baby are learning to nurse (because baby has to learn too!) Please join us for a 2-hour class dedicated to learning the skills needed to start your breastfeeding relationship right.This classes is ideal for pregnant women in their second or third trimester who intend to breastfeed. We encourage partners or other support people (a parent, friend, doula, etc.) to participate in classes, and we respect and welcome all family structures.Topics:
- Anatomy of nursing
- Review the physical process of how breastmilk is made.
- Discuss supply and demand and how that translates to feeding schedules.
- Review the characteristics of a proper breastfeeding latch, discuss what happens if baby does not latch properly, and practice (with a special “Latch” doll) latching a baby to a breast.
- Breastfeeding Positions
- Review the different ways to hold a baby while nursing, and practice these positions with baby dolls.
- Common problems and solutions
- Discuss common issues moms and babies can have while learning to breastfeed, how they can be prevented and solved, and when to call a Lactation Consultant for help.
- Pumping and Bottle-Feeding Expressed Milk
- Discuss how and when to introduce and breastfed baby to a bottle.
- Operate a breast pump while discussing the logistics of pumping at home and at work.
Newborn Care Classes
– One 2-hour class, $35.00 per couple ($30 if signed up for 6-week series)
– Next class date: TBD, Fall 2016
You’ve made your plans for a healthy pregnancy and a safe birth. Maybe you have all your diapers ready, your car-seat installed, and your layette washed, folded, and artfully put away in your nursery or bedroom. … but what are you supposed to do with the baby?! When discussing the newborn period, the word “Shock” comes up a lot — when so much of one’s mental energy is focused on the birth, it can be incredibly difficult to plan and prepare for AFTER the birth. Please join us for a 2-hour, hands-on Newborn Care Class to help you prepare for taking care of this new little life you are about to take home.This classes is ideal for pregnant or adopting families, grandparents or other care-givers, for first-time parents or those needing a refresher before another baby joins the family. We encourage partners or other support people (a parent, friend, doula, etc.) to participate in classes, and we respect and welcome all family structures.
- Bathing and Skin Care
- Discuss baby’s appearance and learn what is normal.
- Practice bathing a baby safely.
- Discuss how to know your baby is getting enough to eat.
- Practice diapering a baby.
- Calming and Swaddling
- Discuss ways of calming a crying baby.
- Practice swaddling a baby.
- Sleep Safety
- Discuss infant sleep safely, including co-sleeping, alone-sleeping, and SIDS/cot death.
- Review how to install a car-seat properly, and practice securing baby in a car-seat.
- Discuss the benefits of baby-wearing and become familiar with different types of baby carriers.
– $20 per hour (plus a $10 surcharge if I travel further than one hour from Northampton)
– Mollie is currently booking private sessions through the end of January 2016